Sunday, January 15, 2017

One Bear's Opinion -- Book Review

Roll: 4
Monopoly Property: Vermont Avenue
Book: Clammed Up
Author: Barbara Ross

Clammed Up is the first in the Maine Clambake series. I initially got it because Bar Harbor is one of my favorite stops on the Canada/New England cruise and I thought it would be fun to read a mystery set in a similar place.

I was a bit disappointed by the book. The setting was lovely, but the characters were not incredibly likable. I found myself not really caring what happened to them. I wanted to finish the book, because the mystery was intriguing, but as for the characters, I do not particularly like them. The main characters seem to be incredibly selfish and self-involved, so much that I was really hoping for one of them to be the murderer, if only to justify my dislike of them.

The book was okay, and I did enjoy visiting the Maine coast, even a fictional Maine coast, but I do not necessarily have to seek out the rest of the series.

I am always torn when I do not like the book. I feel that I should, and then I should be able to say really nice, good things about the book. But the truth is, Clammed Up is, to me anyway, an average cozy mystery. It was not terrible, but it wasn’t as good as I had hoped it would be either. It’s just an average book all the way around.

One Bear’s Opinion: Three glasses of lemonade drunk while watching the tide go out

Happy Reading Everyone,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment