Saturday, February 29, 2020

One Bear's Opinion: The Silent Speaker

The Silent Speaker
by Rex Stout

I've seen the Timothy Hutton production of The Silent Speaker, but it's been years, and all I really remembered was the wax cylinder recordings. And I remember thinking how much state-of-the-art technology has changed since the War.

So going in, I knew the wax cylinders were important, but not how or why. It was fun to rediscover the mystery. And it was fun to have an adventure with Archie. I can't say too much, but if you're a fan of Nero Wolfe & Archie's interaction, there is a fantastic scene in this book. It's worth it to read for just that moment.


It was a lot of fun to read, and now I'm going to have to go re-watch the television adaptation to see how well it was compared to the book.

One Bear's Opinion: Five bottles of beer, followed by a visit from Dr. Vollmer, because by then you'll need it

Happy Reading Everyone, 
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment