Thursday, February 6, 2020

One Bear's Opinion: Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man

Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man
by Fannie Flagg

I've been a fan of Fannie Flagg ever since I saw her on re-runs of Match Game. She is one of my favorite panelists on the show. And even now, I will always stop and watch an episode with her if I'm flicking past and see it. But I had never read one of her books, despite being educated in the South, and, on paper at least, the perfect market for her books.

I had a hard time getting into the book. I found it slogged a bit until a big plot point. It really did take about 2/5 for the story to pick up and start moving. Once it took off, it moved quickly and rewarded the time it took to get through to the good parts.

Reading Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man really was like a visit with good friends. Once I got into the book, I really enjoyed it and I am happy to have met Daisy Fay and her friends. It was a great visit. I can highly recommend spending time with the citizens of Shell Beach, especially once you get to the part where the story takes off and pulls you through it quickly.

I do wonder why the decision was made to change the title of the book. I think that Coming Attractions was a better, more descriptive title. But then I wonder quite often why publishers make decisions to change the title of certain books.

I will definitely read more of Fannie Flagg's work. I am sorry it took me to discover her books.

One Bear's Opinion: Five milkshakes and a big bucket of fresh popcorn

Happy Reading Everyone, 
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment