Monday, October 22, 2012

One Bear's Opinion -- Book Review

The Purrfect Murder by Rita Mae Brown and Sneaky Pie Brown

I know I should start reviews of series books with the first in the series, but the truth is I read the first books in many of the series I read a long time ago, and would have to re-read the series to give an accurate review of each book.  As sad as it is to admit, I do not have time re-read entire series where there are so many other books out there waiting for me to read them.  So, I'm starting with the book I have most recently completed, no matter where it falls in the series.

First off, let me say that I love the Mrs. Murphy mysteries.  They are lighthearted, easy reads, and they are illustrated.  I have often wondered why more "adult" books are not illustrated.  One of my housemates has a beautifully illustrated edition of Little Women.  I don't particularly like Little Women, but I do like to look at the pictures.  Illustrations need not be reserved solely for children's books.  And the illustrations in the Mrs. Murphy books have gotten better.  In the first books in the series, the illustrator must not have read the books, as a point is made that Tee Tucker is a corgi without a tail.  The early illustrator invariably pictured Tee Tucker with a tail.  If the point is important enough to be mentioned in every book, it's important enough for the illustrator to make a note of when drawing the character in question!

Okay, complaints about earlier illustrators aside, this was a very enjoyable mystery.  I read a fair number of mystery novels.  I hesitate to call them generically murder mysteries, as not all mysteries involve a murder, though the vast majority do.  I am familiar with most of the plot points and twists and can usually pick the murderer well before the half-way point in the story.  This one had me surprised at the dénouement.  I was sure I had pegged the murderer, only to be genuinely surprised when all was revealed.  I also thought the red herring wild goose chase to be a very interesting plot diversion, and had me confused as to where it was going and whether it had any bearing on the murder.

My one complaint with this book is that I have noticed that the later books in the Mrs. Murphy series have a much more topical, political tone, and the (human) author's own opinions are somewhat forced upon the characters.  This practice is, of course, the author's prerogative, but sometimes too much heavy-handed lecturing through beloved characters can turn fans off the series.  I am seeing this series get dangerously close to that line.  I use reading as an escape from the current events of the real world, and do not particularly like to be lectured at on those same subjects I am trying to avoid by reading novels instead of keeping up with current affairs.  I am an open-minded and relatively well-informed bear, but even so I do not enjoy being hit over the head with the author's opinion on every page.

Overall, I would not describe this book, or any other Mrs. Murphy installment, as great literature, but they are all fun diversions and enjoyable reads.  I do like following the lives of the animals, and especially like the encounters with wild animals.  If you are in the mood for a fun, easy read, without too much gore or thrills, definitely check out the Mrs. Murphy books.  It is not strictly necessary that you read them all in order as the important plot points are recapitulated at some point in every book.

One Bear's Rating:  Three Cups of Cocoa

Happy Reading Everyone,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment