Friday, May 22, 2015

Eurovision 2015, Semi-Final 1, A Live-ish Review

I am so excited to be back reviewing Eurovision.  And I am very thankful to Oliver and Spencer for the opportunity to post this at their blog.  (I don't write enough to warrant one of my own, but my friends the bears are great to list me borrow theirs.)

It's starting. I'm so very excited.  It's Semi-Final Part One tonight.  Yes, I know it's been over for days in Europe, but I have avoided all spoilers about Eurovision so this is all new to me.

Eurovision is opening with a reprise of last year's winner.  I liked Conchita's performance, but it wasn't my favorite.  I have a feeling that may be the way of Eurovision and me.

The hosts have just come out.  It's interesting there are three women. 


Moldova -- Eduard Romanyuta, I Want Your Love 
I keep thinking of the line from R.E.D., but I'm trying not to let that influence my opinion.  Though he is not a native Moldovan, and that may influence me.  Rats! Singing in English.  I like it better if they sing in their native tongue.  I liked the song, but not the performance; the lights and dancers are a bit distracting.

Armenia -- Genealogy, Face the Shadow 

It's nice that the group is made up of members from all over.  That's really nice.   Another group singing in English.  I don't particularly like the costumes.  They seem a bit heavy and dark for the song.  And they do nothing to change the church choir feeling.

I liked the postcards better last year, with the contestants all making their national flags.

Belgium -- Loïc Nottet, Rhythm Inside 

Another English song.  It's not bad at the beginning, but does remind me of someone else.  Singing from laying down was impressive.  I really don't mind this one.

The Netherlands -- Trijntje Oosterhuis, Walk Along 

It's a ladybug balloon (in the postcard).  That's cool.  The close-up camera effects of the singer on stage must be only for the television audience, it would be difficult to do it in person.  Her costume is odd.  Ackk!  the video froze there.  Whew, we got it back.  It was an okay song, but I really felt like it needed more.

Finland -- Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät, Aina mun pitää 

I'm glad they're signing in their native tongue but I'm not sure the subtitles are necessary.  It kind of takes away from the performance. They were good and seemed happy to be there and performing.  Best act so far, but they will not move on to the Final.

Greece -- Maria Elena Kyriakou, One Last Breath 

I like that she's by herself with only the pianist, but again, I'm disappointed by the sing being sung in English.  It sounds and looks very much like Céline Dion.  That's not a criticism, just a fact.  Not bad, solidly in the middle to move on to the Final.

Estonia -- Elina Born & Stig Rästa, Goodbye to Yesterday 

Ohh, I think I already like this one.  It's simple, so far.  The shadows on the floor do not match the performers.  That's distracting.

Why are so many of the songs sung in English?  The theme for this year's Eurovision is "Building Bridges" and you'd think that bridges would be built more effectively if we used the music, a universal language to build the bridges, rather than just English.  You'd think this was being broadcast in the US where people really only speak English.

F.Y.R. Macedonia -- Daniel Kajmakoski, Autumn Leaves 

So many of the acts tonight remind me of other performers, but I really can't remember who.  This performance is no different.  The back-up singers feel just a bit out of time to me.  Ohh, I like that part of the music.  This one ranks in the top three so far.

Serbia -- Bojana Stamenov, Beauty Never Lies 

I like the song and the message, but the back-up singers look like they came straight from a performance of Phantom of the Opera.  Wow!  That was a dramatic change in the song.  Solid middle performance.

Silly school-boy giggle at Hungary, especially since we've just busted out the snacks in my house.

Hungary -- Boggie, Wars for Nothing
Ohh, pretty dress and a pretty lady.  This is a quiet song, for quiet times.  The announcers mentioned there was "stillness" and that's what it is.  Definitely one of the best of the evening.

Belarus -- Uzari & Maimuna, Time 

This is a nice song, but the violinist is getting lost.  And that's too bad.  I would have enjoyed this much more if the violin were more prominent throughout the song.

Russia -- Polina Gagarina, A Million Voices   

This song is going to get loud; they never start soft like this if they are going to stay that way.  The dress is pretty cool, but it does mean she can't move too much and she looks like she's fighting an urge to move around.  The clear instruments are cool, but I'm not sure they're necessary.  This is definitely a crowd favorite.  I would be very surprised if it does not go through to the Final.

Denmark -- Anti Social Media, The Way You Are 

Not a bad song, feels very poppy.  It's fun and bouncy, but very Top 40 Radio Summer Song.  I can hear this on repeat every day for the entire summer.  Definitely the most "me" song of the evening.

Albania -- Elhaida Dani, I'm Alive 

I wish I could say something about this song.  But it's not even over and it's a bit forgettable.  I feel bad saying that, and I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't know what else to say.

Ro
mania -- Voltaj, De la capǎt (All Over Again)  
Fantastic!  Native language song, but enough with the subtitles, they are distracting.  Let the song speak for itself.  And there, the song moves to English.  The subtitles were not necessary anyway.  That was fantastic, a best of night.

Georgia -- Nina Sublatti, Warrior 
Scary opening.  Good performance.  Not my favorite, but still a very god performance.

So that's it for tonight.  Ten of the sixteen go through to the Final.  I'm glad I'm not responsible for narrowing it down.  My tops:  Finland, Estonia, F.Y.R. Macedonia, Hungary, Denmark, and Romania.  I'm really having trouble picking the last four I want to go through.  I'll be happy for any of the remaining acts to go through.

More to come tomorrow night.

See you then, 
Tigger

No comments:

Post a Comment