Saturday, May 23, 2015

Eurovision 2015, Semi-Final 2, A Live-ish Review

Semi-Final Part 2 is starting soon.  We've had dinner at my house (Sweet Potato Chili) and have moved on to dessert (my housemate made Double Chocolate Chunk Brownies) so we are ready.  There is also a bag of chips in the pantry and some wine, cider, and beer in the fridge should we need any of those libations.  I'm sticking to ginger ale, but I'm happy to share.

The opening number is much like the parade of States at the Miss America Contest, which is fun, but it would be more fun if the acts were in native costumes, or some theme costume.  But maybe that's just me.  It was a bouncy beginning, and that's a good start as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's nice that the host country always gets an automatic bid to the final, but I think the other Big 5 should have to compete.  This is not the UN, it's not a security council.  It would be more fun for me if everyone had to compete in the semi-final.

Lithuania -- Monika Linkytė & Vaidas Baumila, This Time 

I like her dress.  And it's a happy song to start the night.  I would be better if the backup were playing the instruments.  I really think an on-stage banjo would bring out the best in this performance.  It was a fun song, but I doubt it will get through to the Final.

Ireland -- Molly Sterling, Playing with Numbers 

Ohh she's playing her instrument.  And the announcers said she has a pet donkey!  That's very nice. I like her already.  Ohh…I like the piano, I like being able to see the hammers striking the strings.  It's a bouncy thing.  I like her.  She's definitely in my list of top 10.

San Marino -- Michele Perniola & Anita Simoncini, Chain of Lights 

Ohh, I like this postcard.  This is starting out like a song from a Broadway show. I like the beginning of the chorus, but it really does feel like a Broadway show tune.

Montenegro -- Knez, Adio 

The announcers said this is one of the few songs not in English tonight.  Yeah for Montenegro!  I do like the violin.  I wish the broadcast would stop with the subtitles.  I like this one.  The singer is not a dancer, which is okay, and makes for some interesting choreography.  The only thing I wish would be that they would not have taken the Black Mountain so seriously in the costumes.

Malta -- Amber, Warrior 

The is the second song titled Warrior in the contest, maybe it's part of the theme, like Building Bridges.  I like that it's just the singer on stage.  I prefer this Warrior to last night's, but I'm not sure if it falls in my favorites for the night.  The background seemed to fit more with a Phoenix idea than Warriors, but it was not a bad performance.

I am really loving the interview with Ireland's contestant.  I want to see the donkey host Eurovision!  Come on people, Vote for the donkey!


Norway -- Mørland & Debrah Scarlett, A Monster Like Me 

I like this one so far.  The words are sad, but the music is not so much.  It's not a bad performance, and sure to be one of the favorites of the night.

Portugal -- Leonor Andrade, Há um mar que nos separa 

Ohh!  The song is in Portuguese.  Good for her, singing in her native tongue.  I can't decide if I like this one or not.  I'm leaning toward yes, but I'm not really sure.

Czech Republic -- Marta Jandová & Václav Noid Bárta, Hope Never Dies 

Ohh, scary bridge in the postcard.  Throwing her shoes was interesting, and timed well in the dramatic part of the song.  Not a bad performance, but a bit flat and plain.

Israel -- Nadav Guedj, Golden Boy 

The announcers say to watch out for the shoes.  They're Mercury/Hermes shoes!  Ohh, I like this one.  It's fun and bouncy.  Best of the night so far!  (Who cares if they're not technically in Europe.)

Latvia -- Aminata, Love Injected 

This one is interesting.  She gives off a native peoples feel and I'm not sure if she is supposed to or is it just me projecting.  This is another dress that looks very nice, but makes it seem like the performer is fighting standing still.  This is a middle of road performance for me.

Azerbaijan -- Elnur Hüseynov, Hour of the Wolf 

I like the song, but not the dancers.  I think they could have done a better job bringing this song to life in the performance.  I'm not sure of the distracting dancers are enough to drop this to the bottom of my list or not.

One of things I like best about Eurovision is seeing the names from all the countries.  Some of them are familiar, but some are not and that's pretty interesting.

Iceland -- María Ólafs, Unbroken 

Footprints and a tutu?  It's an interesting song, and feels like it could be a crowd favorite, but it's only so-so for me.

Sweden -- Måns Zelmerlöw, Heroes 

This is the favorite.  I wish they hadn't said that.  I'd rather pick my own favorites. The interactive background is interesting.  It was a good song, and a performance, definitely in my top for the night, but I felt like it had to be because it was already proclaimed as the favorite of the night.

Switzerland -- Mélanie René, Time to Shine 

Most Americans don't know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland, so it's interesting the countries' performances are back to back here.  Why have drums if they are being played in time with the music?  It wasn't bad, but not my favorite.

Cyprus -- John Karayiannis, One Thing I Should Have Done 

Ohh I like this one already!  But maybe because it sounds familiar.  I'm not sure who it sounds like, but it does sound familiar.  I really enjoyed this one.  It was simple and well-done, which is probably a guarantee it's not going through to the final.

Slovenia -- Maraaya, Here for You 

The announcers are teasing this performance.  The air violin is interesting.  I wonder if there is an international competition for air violinists?  It's a crowd favorite, but not really one of mine.

Poland -- Monika Kuszyńska, In the Name of Love 

I really like this one.  It's another simple performance, nothing fancy.

So that's it.  Semi-Final Part two is over.  There were some ups and downs tonight.  My picks to go through:  Ireland, Montenegro, Israel, Sweden, Cyprus, and Poland.

I'm looking forward to the Final tomorrow night, though I know some of my favorite acts didn't make it.  That does mean it will be harder to pick my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment