Sunday, May 15, 2016

Eurovision 2016, Final -- A Review

It’s Final Night for Eurovision.  I’ve been careful to avoid spoilers all day so I get to watch what happens live-ish.

I’ve invited my new friend Guillaume to help me tonight, so we’ll both have a thumbs up or down on the performance — actually one or two flags of the country, and a couple of comments.  We’ll also pick our top three at the end.

Before the start of the Final, we had some nibbles (cheese & crackers and my housemate’s homemade ranch dip & chips) and a Lemon Creme Pie my housemate made.  It was a wonderful feast, and I’ve been promised popcorn for later in the broadcast (because it’s bouncy like me) and ginger beer.  I’m having quite the party over here with all my friends.

Because it’s already tomorrow in Australia by the time the contest actually occurs in Europe, we have to wait until the evening after it airs in Europe to see it.  Well, we could get up at 5:00 am and watch it live, but I have other jobs to do at 5:00 am, so we wait until the evening rebroadcast. to watch it.  That does mean that we have to be on guard against spoilers.  My housemates mentioned they might have seen the results, but they have not told me, or Guillaume, anything.

Ohh, it’s starting.  I can hardly contain my bounces!  I wonder where it will be next year.

The parade of entrants is a bit strange.  I’m finding it hard to figure out the countries with the flag projections on the strange paper dresses.  My housemate has the running order up for me so I can follow along.  Julia and Sam are saying that Justin Timberlake is the interval performer.  I hope that doesn’t mean the US will be a participating country next year.  I know my housemate is an American, but I think there are some things that Americans should not have their fingers in.

I am sorry the Belorussian did not make it through to the Final.  Honestly, Europe, what were you thinking?  Live wolves and naked performances?  That’s the best of Eurovision all in one act!  Why do the ones I really like never make it as the winners?  Some of them don’t make it past the semi-final.

And we’re off!

Belgium
Laura Tesoro, What’s the Pressure
 

Tigger:  It’s definitely a bouncy way to start the Final.  ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช
Guillaume:  This is a pop radio song.  I like it.  ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช
 

The different countries have different fonts on the postcard intros.  That’s cool, but I still miss the flag making from 2014.

Czech Republic
Gabriela Gunฤรญkovรก, I Stand
 

Tigger:  A bit quiet after the bouncy beginning.  ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
Guillaume:  It’s nothing special, but I wouldn’t turn it off.  ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
 

The Netherlands
Douwe Bob, Slow Down

Tigger:  I like this one.  It’s a favorite.  ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ
Guillaume:  Cool costumes.  But the song has a nice message and a happy bounce.  ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ
 

Azerbaijan
Samra, Miracle
 

Tigger:  I remember this one.  I thought the gold costume and microphone was a subtle message to the voters.  ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
Guillaume:  I get the feeling that she was influenced by the Spice Girls.  It’s catchy enough.  ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฟ
 

Hungary
Freddie, Pioneer

Tigger:  The drummer is into the performance.๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ
Guillaume:  I like the whistling!  ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ
 

It’s going to be hard to pick my top three!

Italy
Francesca Michielin, No Degree of Separation
 

Tigger:  I like the balloons.  ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น
Guillaume:  Ohh, it’s lovely.  ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น
 

Israel
Hovi Star, Made of Stars
 

Tigger:  One of my favorites.  ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ
Guillaume:  It’s a movie title theme to me. But great work from the back-up dancers in the hoop. ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ฑ
 

Bulgaria
Pole Genova, If Love Was a Crime
 

Tigger:  I like this one, the bounces, the fun, it’s a favorite.  ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ
Guillaume:  I can see teenage girls singing this into their hairbrushes. ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ
 

I have nothing but favorites so far.  It’s going to be so hard to pick just three.

Sweden
Frans, If I Were Sorry
 

Tigger:  It’s a bit boring after the bounces before from Bulgaria. ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
Guillaume:  Quite aside from the poor grammar (if I were…), it seems like he’s a Passenger fan and trying too hard to copy that artist. ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช
 

Germany
Jamie-Lee, Ghost

Tigger:  I like the head band, but not much else. ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช
Guillaume:  The costume, the lyrics, the music, and the stage decoration are incongruous. It’s a bit distracting to the performance. ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช
 

France
Amir, J’ai Cherchรฉ
 

Tigger:  It’s not bad, but I can’t see it winning. ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท
Guillaume:  I find myself wishing it were all in one language rather than switching back and forth.  Not the best of the night. ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท
 

Poland
Michaล‚ Szpak, Color of Your Life
 

Tigger:  I still like this one.  And he has a cool coat. ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ
Guillaume:  Another movie title theme song. ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ
 

Australia
Dami Im, Sound of Silence

Tigger:  I just don’t really like this song. ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
Guillaume:  It’s a power ballad, but not one of my favorites of the evening. ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
 

Cyprus
Minus One, Alter Ego
 

Tigger:  Ohh yes, the cages.  It’s harder rock than I usually prefer, but I like it. ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡พ
Guillaume:  I would say it’s a dose of alternative or the staid competition, but this is Eurovision. ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡พ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡พ
 

If you listen to all the lyrics, there are many miracles needed on this stage.
 

Serbia
Sanja Vuฤiฤ‡ ZAA, Goodbye (Shelter)
 

Tigger:  Not one of my favorites, but I would feel bad voting against the song. ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ
Guillaume:  Good message, and not a bad performance. ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ธ
 

Lithuania
Donny Montell, I’ve Been Waiting for This Night
 

Tigger:  It still feels like a boy band audition for a reality singing competition show. ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡น
Guillaume:  I have nothing to say about this one.  It’s easily forgettable and that’s sad for the performer. ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡น
 

Croatia
Nina Kraljiฤ‡, Lighthouse
 

Tigger:  I like it, but not enough to be a top three pick. ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท
Guillaume:  Interesting costume, which almost overpowers the performance and the performer. ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท
 

Russia
Sergey Lazarev, You Are the Only One
 

Tigger:  Hearing it again, I like it more. I may have to consider this a top choice. ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ
Guillaume:  The performance trickery is very cool.  The song feels average. ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡บ
 

Spain
Barei, Say Yay!
 

Tigger:  I want to like this one because the title has such potential, but I just do not. ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ
Guillaume:  Sorry, Spain, I cannot say Yay. I do not like this one at all. ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ
 

Latvia
Justs, Heartbeat
 

Tigger:  It’s just so-so for me. ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ป
Guillaume:  Shouldn’t the heartbeat graphic look like the readout on the machines on tv and in the movies, more than static noise? ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ป
 

Ukraine
Jamala, 1944
 

Tigger:  This is another song I feel bad for not liking, but I don’t. ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
Guillaume:  Even if you don’t speak the language, this is a powerful song, and the performance is extremely personal. My favorite performance so far. ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
 

Malta
Ira Losco, Walk on Water
 

Tigger:  It’s an average song. ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡น
Guillaume:  There is nothing wrong with the song, but nothing outstanding about it either. ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡น
 

Georgia
Nina Kocharov and Young Georgian Lolitaz, Midnight Gold
 

Tigger:  It’s okay.  If there weren’t other better things, I’d pop it in my top list.  There’s a fun beat to it. ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ช
Guillaume:  Another case of performance trickery overshadowing the performance. ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ช
 

Austria
ZOร‹, Loin d’ici
 

Tigger:  She’s a fairytale princess. It’s happy and fun. ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น
Guillaume:  This would be very nice to fall asleep to, and I mean that in a good way. ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡น
 

United Kingdom
Joe and Jake, You’re Not Alone

Tigger:  It has a nice bounce and it looks like fun. ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง
Guillaume:  It has a good radio feel. ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง
 

Armenia
Ivete Mukuchyan, LoveWave

Tigger:  Not one of my favorites. ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
Guillaume:  Armenia’s Beyonce. Good for her. ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฒ
 

Our Top Three Picks:
Tigger:  Belgium, The Netherlands, Israel
Guillaume:  Ukraine, Serbia, Italy

 

That’s for us.  Hope you enjoyed the show this year, and that your favorite ends up a winner.
I’m sorry it’s over for another year, but it’s hard staying up late three nights in a row.
Guillaume and I will be back next year.

See you then,
Tigger & Guillaume

No comments:

Post a Comment