Monday, May 2, 2016

One Bear's Opinion -- Book Review

Murder on Amsterdam Avenue by Victoria Thompson

Let me say from the beginning, this was a great visit with Sarah Brandt and Frank Malloy! And there is a good ending to the book that has nothing at all to do with the mystery.

Now, onto the mystery plot of this book. It was very enjoyable and, though I had the killer picked out early on, it was still fun to watch the investigators figure it out.

I am not sure how much research the author did, but there has to have been some research into the lives of immigrants, whether international or from the Southern states, in New York in the 1890s. Even if it is largely fictional, it certainly reads as believable based on my own limited research and history classes. The author’s description of the slums of New York are so vivid, I could absolutely picture myself there as I was reading the book. And the sumptuous descriptions of the upperclass homes in the privileged areas of New York were just as realistic.

The best authors can do that. They can make the world of their books come alive in your imagination, sometimes to the point that when I look up from the book, I wonder why the room doesn’t look anything like the one I’ve just been in. Victoria Thompson’s descriptions are the kind that make me feel as if I were really in the room with the characters.

Speaking of characters, having just read a book with characters I could not warm up to, I was pleased to have this visit with characters that have become good friends. Making friends with the characters can help even the worst books be just a bit better. This book would not qualify as one of the worst books I’ve read, at all.

Saying too much more would spoil not only the mystery plot, but the overarching story line, and I do not want to do that. So let me finish by saying that the book is well worth the read, but if you are new to the Gaslight Mystery series, I would absolutely suggest you not start with this book.

One Bear’s Opinion: Four glasses of lemonade, with a slice of cake, topped with lots of yummy frosting

Happy Reading Everyone,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment