Saturday, May 14, 2016

Eurovision 2016, Semi-Final #2 -- A Reivew

I’m back again for a live(ish) review of Eurovision 2016.

It’s night two of the Semi-Finals and I have avoided the news and media so I have no idea who goes through to the finals. In the age of instant access to all kinds of things it’s rather difficult to avoid spoilers, but I have. I hope I can continue and not find out the winner before the prime time broadcast tomorrow night here in Australia. If you know the overall winner, please do not tell me. I want to be surprised.

I don’t know anything about tonight’s entrants. Well, except for Australia’s entry, but that’s only because the station broadcasting Eurovision has been teasing the performance for well over a month. I’ve seen snippets of the song so much I’m already tired of the song. I really wish they wouldn’t tease upcoming shows so much.

I’m enjoying the Opening Number; yes, it’s silly, but it does a great job of summing up Eurovision. It’s silly, but fun. That’s what I think Eurovision is. And why I get so excited for my Eurovision weekend every year. (Even though my friend Spencer doesn’t enjoy it as much as I do, he watches with me because he knows I’m excited! We have a new friend to share Eurovision with this year, and he said he’s going to help me with my commentary on the Final since he said he’s still getting the feel for it right now.)

Latvia
Justs, Heartbeat
I liked the beginning of this song, but then it went off a bit for me. It’s not terrible, but I’m saying not a top ten.

Poland
Michał Szpak, Color of Your Life
Ohh, he’s feeding the squirrels in the postcard video. I like him already. (I miss squirrels.) His fingernails are black. And they are a bit distracting to me. But I like him. He’s got a pretty cool coat too. Probably not a top ten finisher, though.

Switzerland
Rykka, The Last of Our Kind
There’s a smoke machine in her dress. She has blueberry colored hair and is barefoot. I’m always barefoot, but I bounce. She’s not even really moving, seems to be a waste. It’s just an odd costume all around. But a nice song.

The dandelion seeds are the colors of the flags. That’s pretty nice. Julia mentioned that the theme of this year’s Eurovision is “Come Together,” which is interesting because dandelion seeds are meant to be blown apart.

Israel
Hovi Star, Made of Stars
I like this one. Ohh, I don’t like the raining sparklers, but I do like the song and the acrobats. Very well done. One of my favorites of the night.

Belarus
IVAN, Help You Fly
He wanted to sing naked with two wolves? That’s a bit out there, even for Eurovision. It has to be broadcast, and I know Europe’s standard are lower than the US, but still, it’s a family show. I’m not sure how the wolves and nakedness fit in to helping people learn how to fly, but then I’m not Belorussian so maybe I’m missing something important there. The stripes are interesting. Performance art aside, it was a good song. I’m raking it in my top ten.

Serbia
Sanja Vučić ZAA, Goodbye (Shelter)
I wanted to like this one, but I’m not really feeling it. I think it would like it better if it weren’t in the performance. I think the message might be better if there were a bit more light in performance as well. But then I don’t like too much dark.

Ireland
Nicky Byrne, Sunlight
I really enjoyed this song. I do not think it will get to the final, but I did enjoy it.

F.Y.R. Macedonia
Kaliopi, Dona
Yes, a song not in English! Go you! I wonder what language they speak in F.Y.R. Macedonia — I think there are several to choose from. She looks like she is emotionally invested in this song in ways the other performers are not. I like her.

Lithuania
Donny Montell, I’ve Been Waiting for This Night
Cool shoes. But I think he’s taken too many cues from boy bands and reality competition singing shows. There was nothing objectionable about this performance, but nothing outstanding either.

Australia
Dami Im, Sound of Silence
I know you can’t copyright titles, but The Sound of Silence is already taken — by Simon & Garfunkel. But then again, my housemate says many people don’t necessarily know that. As I mentioned, I’m a bit over the song already, but I’m trying to keep an open mind. Does she have lights in her collar? It’s hard to tell. It was well done, but not my favorite.

Slovenia
ManuElla, Blue and Red
Julia said the performer describes this as a “country style.” I hear the country themes, modern country, but it’s there. I don’t mind this song, but the keening is a bit out of place.

Bulgaria
Poli Genova, If Love Was a Crime
She has eggplant purple lips and bookends for earrings. Interesting mix of English and Bulgarian lyrics. It’s kind of very bouncy. I like it. The performance is happy and upbeat. This is a favorite. Her costume definitely lights up!

Denmark
Lighthouse X, Soldiers of Love
The microphone stands are lightsabers. Julia says it’s Lighthouse Ten, not X or a Greek Chi (Χ) for that matter. It’s another boy band entry. Same-Same.

The "thunk" going into each act is annoying. At first I thought it was a mistake, but not I think it’s on purpose.

Ukraine
Jamala, 1944
Another song with parts not in English. I’m always happy to hear native languages. I didn’t really like the song, but hope for her it makes it to the final.

Norway
Agnete, Icebreaker
When I saw the title of this song, I thought it was fitting for someone from Norway. The interpretive dance in an interesting addition to the performance. I don’t mind this song, but it does have the same-same feel of almost everything else this year. It does seem to be written for a reality competition show.

Georgia
Nina Kocharov and Young Georgian Lolitaz, Midnight Gold
How do they do the special video effects for the people live in the stadium? This feels to me like the band couldn’t decide which of their favorite bands to channel so they decided to channel them all. And the light effects are bad, they definitely needed Julia’s epileptic warning!

Albania
Eneda Tarifa, Fairytale
The gold is interesting and how her dress flaws into the floor projections, but I’m not really feeling this song or how it has anything to do with fairytales. A bit bland and forgettable, Albania, I’m sorry.

Belgium
Laura Tesoro, What’s the Pressure
In the in-between interview, she mentioned she thinks she has “hamster cheeks.” I like her. It’s a bouncy song too! She’s fun. This will get one of my top ten votes.

That’s it. All to do now is wait for the voting. I’ll be back tomorrow with comments on the Final, and my new friend, Guillaume will be joining me.

Hope to see you then,
Tigger

No comments:

Post a Comment