Wednesday, February 1, 2017

One Bear's Opinion -- Book Review

Roll: 6
Monopoly Property: Kentucky Avenue
Book: Murder at the Breakers
Author: Alyssa Maxwell

The task for the Kentucky Avenue property was to read a book set in the Victorian Era or with a red cover. Murder at the Breakers book is set in 1895, so towards the end of the Victorian era, but still it fits the requirements.

I had read books set in Newport during the “Gilded Age” before, and have in fact even been to several of the places mentioned in the book. On my very first cruise, I visited the Breakers and Cliff Walk, so I have an idea of the setting. I was looking forward to reading this book since I found about it during the Cozy Read-a-Thon I participated in last year.

I had higher hopes for it. The characters were interesting, but not particularly likable. I never grew to care for any of the characters as friends, and found myself not enjoying the book or the setting very much. I read the entire book hoping it would get better, and it really never did. The mystery was intriguing, and I had fun figuring out the murderer, though I didn’t guess before the main character put it all together.

I haven’t decided as to whether I am going to seek out other books in the series, or just re-read the Gilded Age series by Mary Kruger.

One Bear’s Opinion: Three glasses of lemonade and some average petit fours

Happy Reading Everyone,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment