Wednesday, February 15, 2017

One Bear's Opinion -- Book Review

Roll: 8
Monopoly Property: Community Chest #3
Book: The Poyson Garden
Author: Karen Harper

This was almost a free read, as the task for the property was to “read a book from any historical mystery series.” The group where I originally found this reading challenge picks a featured author each month and this month’s featured author was one of my suggestions, Karen Harper, so The Poyson Garden was was perfect choice, as it fit both challenges.

According to Goodreads and my personal records, I read this book for the first time in 2002. I could not remember exactly when I read it, but I remembered I enjoyed it enough at the time to read the rest of the series. The re-read was equally enjoyable, though I did find myself comparing this book to Murder at Hatfield House that I read last year.

Both were mysteries set before Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth I, and both featured attempts on the Princess’ life. There were some similar characters, if only because some of the characters were real people and since both stories were based on those real people, it would have been strange had the important real people not been characters in both.

Even in the re-read I found the Karen Harper series to be lighter and more fitting the definition of cozy than the Amanda Carmack series, though both series’ first books were very good introductions. And both encouraged readers to seek out the next-in-series. I do have to give a slight edge to the Karen Harper series, if only because they are lighter, and if I’m honest, because of Edward Thompson, alias Ned Topside. The actor is one of my favorite characters, and I missed him in the Amanda Carmack series.

The mystery was interesting, and while there weren't too many red herrings, it was interesting to watch as the characters discovered the murderer. There were a couple of scary parts, and I was glad I had people around me while I was reading those parts, but they were quick, not too graphic, and fit well in the story. There is an animal in the book that I wondered about the first time I read the book, but have since actually seen, and heard, in person. It was amazing in person, and having had that experience made the scenes in the book even more spine-tingling real. And while I don't know if it is historically accurate, I share Princess Elizabeth's almost paralyzing fear of bees.

It was fun to re-discover The Poyson Garden and I am looking forward to re-discovering the rest of the series, either as part of my Monopoly Reading Challenge or just books to be read for fun.

One Bear’s Opinion: Four Glasses of Mead with a plate of oatcakes

Happy Reading Everyone,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment