Wednesday, February 22, 2017

One Bear's Opinion -- Book Review

Roll: 1
Monopoly Property: Pennsylvania Avenue
Book: Thunder on the Right
Author: Mary Stewart

My copy of Thunder on the Right actually fit both tasks for Pennsylvania Avenue: Read a thriller/suspense book or a book with a purple cover. This was a 2004 mass market paperback reprint of the book, with a scene of a horse in a valley in shades of purple on the cover. I wasn’t thinking about it fitting both tasks, but was happy it did.

My housemate has kept records of her reading since 2000, and according to her records, we read this book in 2009. She said she did not remember anything about the book, but I did. So it was a re-read to me, and like most re-reads, it was well worth the second read.

I don’t want to say too much about the book, because I am afraid of spoiling it, and the parts of the book that stick out most are the parts that would give away the plot.

Like Mary Stewart’s other thrillers, this one is a bit slow to start. There is a great deal of set up before the real action of the book begins, but there are enough little clues to draw the reader through to the book without dragging.

I believe Mary Stewart’s books are categorized as romantic thrillers or romantic suspense, and I suppose that is as good a categorization as any other, though I don’t read enough thriller or suspense to know for sure. A member of a group I belong to suggested that Mary Stewart’s books are cozy mysteries. That I know is not true. There may be elements of a mystery, but they are in no way cozy mysteries. So I am not really sure where to put the book on the genre spectrum, I just know it’s a very good read, and a very good re-read.

One Bear’s Opinion: Four cups of a calming tisane and a plate of macaroons

Happy Reading Everyone,
Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment